When I first heard about the book #Girlboss, I got excited about reading the biography of Sophia Amoruso, the founder of online retail empire Nasty Gal and GirlBoss Media.
In her book, Sophia gives advice about business, career and how to get what you want. Don’t be fooled by the title. This book is more than just career and business advice; it also offers practical money tips and nuggets of financial wisdom that will propel you to financial freedom if you pay heed to them.
I have just finished reading the book for the second time. It is very inspiring and contagious. But don’t take my word for it. Read on for the best money quotes and financial nuggets that will help you take charge of your finances today.
1. “Treat Your Mind Like Money; Don’t Waste It”
2. “Money Spells Freedom”
“If you learn to control your finances, you won’t find yourself stuck in jobs, places or relationships that you hate just because you can’t afford to go elsewhere”.
3. Learn How To Manage Your Money
4. You Must Take Charge Of Your Finances
“Being in a good spot financially can open so many doors. Being in a bad spot can slam them in your face”.
5. Be Credit Smart
Related: 10 Tips to Improve Your Credit Score
6. Stay On Top Of Your Bills
“It is the little things that can and will wreck your credit. Parking tickets can end up costing you thousands of dollars and court dates”.
7. “Do Not Spend More Than You Have”
8. Be Careful To Avoid This Pitfall
“Another big no-no is increasing your spending as soon as your income increases”.
9. Time is Money
10. Take Responsibility For Your Own Life
“Forcing me to figure out how to provide for myself was probably one of the best things my parent ever did for me”.
11. Save and Invest Instead of Heading to the Bar or Prada
12. The Best and Easiest Way to Save Money
“Treat your savings account like just another bill. It has to be paid every month or there are consequences. Have a portion of your pay check automatically diverted into a savings account. Once it’s in there, forget about it. You never saw it anyway”.
13. “You Should Save 10 Percent At The Bare Minimum”
Related: Why You Should Save Before You Spend
14. A Must-Read Personal Finance Book
“One of the best books I’ve read was George S. Clason’s The Richest Man in Babylon, which offers financial advice in a collection of parables”.
15. Learn to Separate Your Money From Emotions
“The first piece of advice I can give you is to learn to separate your money from emotions as much as you can possibly can. Whether someone is asking you for money, you’re asking someone else or contemplating a significant purchase”.
16. How To Stop Buying ‘Stuff’
“Just imagine that those new shoes were actually made out of $20 bills. That is because money looks better in the bank than on your feet. Spend money because it’s an investment in your well-being, nothing because you are bored and have nothing else to do”.
17. Live Within Your Means
18. Talking About Money and Haggling is a Good Thing
“Too many people, talking about money is awkward. From haggling the price of a sweater to negotiating with investors, talking about money doesn’t bother me. Those seemingly insignificant tiny discounts had made a material difference and I could put the money I saved towards something else”.
19. Always Ask For What You Want
20. How to Ask For a Pay Raise
“It pays to be as unemotional as possible when asking for a raise. If you can articulate the reasons why you deserve a pay increase, then schedule a time to meet with your boss and let her know in advance what you want to talk about”.
Want some more awesome tips? Grab yourself a copy of the #GIRLBOSS book by Sophia Amoruso here. Trust me, you won’t regret it.
Latest posts by Money Nuggets (see all)
- How to Claim Tax Back On PPI Interest - March 19, 2019
- How to Close the Financial Gender Gap Together to Reach Gender Equality - March 8, 2019
- What Women Want: How to Attract and Retain Female Clients - March 5, 2019